- Professional Experience
- Teaching Experience
- Invited Talks/Workshops
- Presentations, Talks, Workshops
- Social Media Consultations
- Writing Contributor
- Specialized Training
- Honors and Awards
- Research Areas
University of Massachusetts, Boston. PhD: Higher Education. ABD. Dissertation focus: Scholarly research and academic piracy.
University of Massachusetts, Boston. 2013. MEd: Instructional Design.
Suffolk University. 2008; Masters: Public Administration.
University of Massachusetts, Boston,. 2006. MA: American Studies; Concentration: Gender & Sexuality.
North Shore Community College. 2004. AS: Criminal Justice.
Salem State University. 2001. BA: History; Honors Program, Minor: English/Writing.
Brandeis University. Associate Director of Learning Design, 12/2019-Present. Instructional Designer and Faculty Development Specialist, 2017-2019.
Northeast Popular Culture Association. Executive Secretary, 2018-Present.
Regis College. Instructional Designer, 2016-2017.
North Shore Community College, Coordinator of Instructional Design: 2011-2016.
North Shore Community College. 2006-Present. Adjunct Faculty. Courses taught: American Literature I (Hybrid) & II; World Literature I; World History I & II; US History II. Coursed designed: Comics in American Culture; Popular Culture and Media (Online), Introduction to GLBTQ Studies. Share This: Social Media for Personal, Professional and Organizational Uses.
Southern New Hampshire University, 2019-Present. Adjunct Instructor. Facilitate pre-designed online courses in Popular Culture, Technology and Society, and Diversity.
Brandeis University – Brandeis Osher Institute of Lifelong Learning. 2018-2019. Instructor. Co-designed and co-taught a course: Education Without Borders: Self-Directed Learning in the 21st Century. Designed and taught: Comics: History, Form, and Storytelling in the 20th Century.
University of Massachusetts, Lowell. 2008-2012. Visiting Lecturer. Courses taught: College Writing I & II; Turning Fiction into Film; Graphic Narratives; The Horror Story.
Endicott College. 2012. Visiting Lecturer. Course taught: American Popular Culture (Online).
University of Phoenix, Online: 2009-2012. Adjunct Faculty. Courses taught: Cultural Diversity (Online).
Emerson College. 2008-2011. Visiting Lecturer. Courses taught: Making Monsters: Manifestations of Fear; Comics in American Culture; Love and Eroticism in Western Culture; Cultural Construction of Identity.
Salem State University. 2007-2011. Visiting Lecturer. Courses taught: World History I & II.
Tufts University. Fall, 2008. Lecturer in the Experimental College. Course taught: Comics in American Culture.
Franklin Pierce University, IDEAL Grant Project, 2019. Presentation and Podcast: Open Pedagogy – Doing By Discipline.
Community Colleges of Rhode Island. Winter Workshop, 2019. Program Developer & Facilitator: Let’s Get Critical: Reflection, Inclusion, and Open Praxis in Teaching and Learning.
Carlow University. CDLI Summer Institute, 2018. Keynote Presentation: The Struggle Is Real & Often, Invisible: Accessibility and Universal Design for Online Learning.
North Shore Community College. Liberal Arts Lecture Series, 2018. Vampires Get You Famous, But The Hulk Will Get You Sued: The Intersections of Creativity, Censorship, Copyright and the Commons.
Bunker Hill Community College, 2018. Presentation: Making Sure Everyone Gets Pi: The Fundamentals of OER.
South Carolina Technical Colleges 2017. Workshop: Choosing Wisely and Widely: Implementing Hybrid Flexible Pedagogy to Engage Student Choice, Meet Course Objectives, and Avoid Class Cancellations
Northern Essex Community College, 2016. Presentation: Digital Service Learning: What’s It All About.
Quinsigamond Community College Technology Conference, 2016. Co-Keynote: Open to Change: Revisiting Instruction Through the Library and Open Educational Resources (OER).
North Shore Community College’s Forum on Tolerance, 2015. Presentation: Changing Lives Through Literature: An Introduction.
Open Ed Forum 2015, UMASS Boston, 2015. Guest Panelist, Panel Discussion: Sustaining OE Initiatives on Campus.
2011 Common Text Workshop. University of Massachusetts, Lowell. Presentation: On Using Comics In the Classroom
2010 Professional Day at North Shore Community College. (Co-Presenter) Presentation: Building Knowledge in the Classroom: Using Wikis in Building Knowledge: Using Wikis in the College Classroom.
Presentations, Talks, Workshops
- 2019 Association of Higher Education and Disability Conference. Boston, MA. July 2019. Co-presenter: The Triple A (AAA) of OER: Accessibility, Availability, and Affordability.
- 2019 New England Faculty Development Consortium Fall Conference. Putney, VT. June 2019. Co-Presenter: Can You Hear Me Now? Taking Public Speaking Courses Online.
- 2019 Northeast OER Summit. Amherst, MA, May 2019. Presenter: Stealing (Sorry, Borrowing) From One Another: An Ideas and Practices Exchange.
- 2019 New England Region of American Colleges of Research Libraries. Portland, ME, May 2019. Co-Poster-Presenter: Can I use a LifeLine? Hands-Offs and High Fives Between the Library and Instructional Design Teams.
- 2019 Eastern Region Campus Compact Conference. Providence, RI. March 2019. Co-Presenter: Digital Service Learning: Leveraging Technology to Expand Service and Community.
- 2019 NERCOMP Conference. Providence, RI. March 2019. Co-presenter: Developing and Launching a Course Refresh Initiative.
- 2019 NERCOMP Conference. Providence, RI. March 2019. Co-presenter: The Triple A (AAA) of OER: Accessibility, Availability, and Affordability.
- NERCOMP Creating Engaging Online Courses: A How-to Guide. Southbridge, MA. January, 2019. Presentation: Planning For The Open Journey.
- NERCOMP: EDU-Hacking: Using the Tools and Tactics We Have to Address Our Challenges, Norwood, MA. November, 2018. Organizer & Presenter.
- 2018 Northeast Popular Culture Association Annual Conference. Worcester, MA. October 2018. Presentation: Going Online With a Pop Culture Course.
- Massachusetts Colleges Online 2018 Conference. Framingham, MA. June 2018. Presentation: Open Pedagogy And the Online Classroom.
- NERCOMP: Digital Service Learning: Connecting with a Global Community, Norwood, MA. June, 2018. Organizer & Presenter.
- 2018 NERCOMP Conference. Providence, RI. March 2018. Co-presenter: The Exploded Syllabus: Examining User Experience and Instructional Design in Learning Management Systems
- 2018 NERCOMP Pre-Conference Workshop. Providence, RI. March 2018. Co-organizer: The Access Pass: Creating Your Universal Design Toolkit for Course.
- NERCOMP: OER: Obtaining Exceptional Results. Norwood, MA. February 2018. Presentation: Upcycling Courses: Supporting Faculty with Open Pedagogy
- NERCOMP Webinar. January 2018. Presentation: “Ugh, group work”: Restructuring Group Work & Projects in the Online Course.
- 2017 New England Faculty Development Consortium Fall Conference. College of the Holy Cross. November 2017. Presentation: Reusing Learning Objects: Open Pedagogy and Student Content.
- 2017 Northeast Popular Culture Association Annual Conference. Amherst, MA. October 2017. Presentation: Wanna Play? Creative Strategies for Teaching Pop Culture.
- NERCOMP: Current Trends in OER. Sturbridge, MA. January 2017. Co-Presentation: Free to Learn & Free to Choose: Universal Design & Student Choice with OER.
- 2016 New England Faculty Development Consortium Fall Conference. College of the Holy Cross, Worcester, MA. November 2016. Digital Service Learning: Taking Volunteering Online.
- 2016 Massachusetts Colleges Online Annual Conference, June 2016. Co-Presenter: Open, Online & Engaging: OER for the Digital Classroom.
- 2016 NERCOMP Annual Conference: Providence, RI. March 2016. Co-Presenter: Sustainable Models for Creating Open & Affordable Course Materials.
- NERCOMP: The Socially Networked Classroom & College: Using Social Media in Higher Education, Southbridge, MA. January 2016. Co-Organizer & Presenter.
- NERCOMP: Continuity of Learning, October 2015. Presentation: The Snowpocalypse Has Been Postponed Indefinitely: Using Hybrid Flexible Design.
- 21st Annual Online Learning Consortium International Conference, October 2015. Co-presenter: Examining the Building Blocks for an Effective Blended Adjunct Faculty Professional Development Learning Model.
- Blackboard Day At Bridgewater State University: August 2015. Presentation: Plagiarism-Proofing and Versatility in Assignments in Blackboard.
- NERCOMP Virtual Workshop, March 2015. Presentation: Exploring Hybrid Flexible Pedagogy: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying About Snow Days and Love This Format.
- 2015 Innovations Conference: Boston, MA, March 2015. Co-presenter: Connecting the Campus: Models for Cross-Campus Collaborations.
- ELI Annual Meeting 2015. Virtual Meeting, SEM01- Innovation and Proven Practice in Online and Blended Learning. Presenter: Slice It Any Way You Want: Using Hybrid Flexible Design for Student Learning.
- NERCOMP: Instructional Design Symposium 2015, Southbridge, MA. January 2015. Facilitator.
- NERCOMP: Supporting Faculty Teaching Online, Framingham, MA. November 2014. Co-Presenter: Redesigning Through Universal Design.
- NERCOMP: “F5” Your Online Course: Redesigning and Updating Online Courses, Norwood, MA. June 2014. Co-Organizer & Presenter.
- 2014 Massachusetts Colleges Online Annual Conference, Bridgewater State University, June 2014. Presentation #1: Choose Your Own EdVenture: Hybrid Flexible Pedagogy; Presentation #2: Developing Accessible Content for Student Success
- 2014 Technology Summit, Suffolk University, May 2014. Presentation: Flexing with Technology: Using Your LMS and Hybrid Flexible Pedagogy.
- 2014 Teaching and Learning Conference, North Shore Community College, May 2014. Presentation: Choice by Design: Using Hybrid Flexible Pedagogy to Empower Students.
- 2013 New England Faculty Development Consortium Fall Conference. College of the Holy Cross. November. Poster Presentation: Hybrid Flexible Pedagogy: Engagement by Expansive Choice
- 2013 North East Popular Culture Association Annual Conference. Saint Michael’s College. October. Presentation: Hyde’ous Evolution: Exploring How the Dwarfish Hyde Became the Monstrous Hulk in the Classroom. Panel Chair: Comics & Graphic Novels
- NERCOMP: Creative Outreach – Supporting Academic Software with Flair. Norwood, MA. September 2013. Co-Presenter: Putting a Face on Academic Technology
- 2013 Ed-Tech Day. Bridgewater State University. August: Co-Presenter: Supporting Online Group Work with Google Apps
- 2013 Massachusetts Colleges Online Annual Conference. Bridgewater State University. June. Co-Presenter: Developing Accessible Content for Student Success.
- 2013 Massachusetts Community College: Teaching, Learning, and Student Development Conference. Middlesex Community College. April. Presentation: Where Faculty Fear to Tread: Role Modeling Civility in a Digital World
- NERCOMP Virtual Workshop. November 2012. (Co-Presenter) Presentation: Google Apps in the Classroom
- 2012 Popular Culture Association Annual Conference. Boston, MA. April. Presentation: Sterling’s Sidekicks – Audience Creation and the Rise of the Sidekick in \ Early Superhero Comics
- The Monster Inside Us, The Monsters Around Us: Monstrosity and Humanity. De Montfort University, UK, November 2011. Presentation: Boundless Monstrosity: The Evolution and Intertextual Development of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Panel Chair: Monstrous Humans/Human Monsters, Speaking and Writing the Monstrous
- 2011 North East Popular Culture Association Annual Conference. Danbury, CT. November. Presentation: Boundless Monstrosity: The Evolution and Intertextual Development of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Panel Chair: Comics & Graphic Novels
- 2011 North Shore Community College’s IT Fluency Summer Institute. Danvers, MA. June. Presentation: Wikis, Blogs, and Web 2.0 Projects.
- 2010 Film & History Conference. Milwaukee, WI. November. (Co-Presenter) Presentation: Who Am I Cheering for Again? Viewer Identification of Self, Group and Other in District 9. Area Chair: For Love of the Fans: Comic Film Adaptations and Fandom
- 2010 North East Popular Culture Association Annual Conference. Boston, MA. October. (Co-Presenter) Presentation: Human Alien-nation: District 9 and the Redirection of Empathy. Panel Chair: Comics, Perspectives and Social Understandings
- 2009 Mid-Atlantic Popular Culture Association Annual Conference. Boston, MA. November. Presentation: The (Super) War on Terror: Superhero Alternatives to 9/11 and Its Aftermath
- 2009 North East Popular Culture Association Annual Conference. Bay City, NY. October. Presentation: Strokes of Genius: Gareth Hinds’ Adaptation of King Lear and Other Classics
- 2009 World History Association Annual Conference. Salem, MA. June: Presentation: Drawing Connections: On Using Comics in the Classroom
- 2009 Joint Conference of Popular Culture Association & American Culture Association. New Orleans, LA. April. Presentation: Voices In My Head: Stephen King’s Dynamic Relationship With Audiobooks
- The Comic Book in Popular Culture. Bowling Green State University, Ohio, October 2008. Presentation: Framing History: The Use of Comics for History
- 2008 Northeast Popular Culture/American Culture Association Annual Conference. UMASS, Dartmouth. October. Presentation:Zombie Resurgence: The Undead (and Un-Christian) Enemy of Post 9/11 America. Panel Chair: Panels Without Borders: Expanding Comic Scholarship
- 2008 Florida Conference of Historians. Jacksonville, FL. March. Presentation: Readership and Identity in Early Superhero Comics
- “iTeach, iLearn, and iConfused: Collection Development: Technology Education” in Library Journal. November 1, 2015.
- “My Two Hats in Higher Education: Adjunct Faculty & Instructional Designer” in The Nexus: Official Newsletter of the Massachusetts College Personnel Association. February 2015.
- Book Review of Dungeons & Dreamers for the Northeast Popular Culture Newsletter. January 2015.
- “Degrees of Angst: Massachusetts, Demographics, and State Education” in On Campus: The WGBH News Higher Education Blog. November 2014.
- Entry: “The Horror Narrative and the Graphic Novel” in Critical Insights: The Graphic Novel. ed. Gary Hoppenstand. Salem Press. March 2014.
- Entries: “Extraterrestrials,” “Hyde, Edward,” “King Kong,” and “Robots,” in The Ashgate Encyclopedia of Literary and Cinematic Monsters, ed by Dr. Jeffrey Weinstock from Ashgate Publishing Ltd. March 2014.
- “A Superhero for the Times: Superman’s Fight against Oppression and Injustice in the 1930s”, in Ages of Heroes, Eras of Men eds. Julian C. Chambliss, Thomas Donaldson, William Svitavsky. Cambridge Scholars Publishing. July, 2013
- “The Hulking Hyde: How the Incredible Hulk Reinvented the Modern Jekyll and Hyde Monster” in Fear and Learning: Essays on the Pedagogy of Horror edited by Aalya Ahmad and Sean Moreland, McFarland Books. Spring, 2013.
- Entry “Larry Gonick” in Icons of the American Comic Book: From Captain America to Wonder Woman, eds Randall Duncan and Matthew Smith from Greenwood Press. February 2013.
- Entry: “Horror in Graphic Novels” in Critical Survey of Graphic Novels: History, Theme, and Technique, ed by Dr. Bart Beaty & Stephen Weiner. Salem Press. October 2012.
- Entry: “Cartoon History of the Universe” in Critical Survey of Graphic Novels: Independents & Underground Classics, ed by Dr. Bart Beaty & Stephen Weiner from Salem Press. May, 2012.
- Entries: “The Boys” and “Savage Dragon” in Critical Survey of Graphic Novels: Heroes & Superheroes, ed by Dr. Bart Beaty & Stephen Weiner from Salem Press, March 2012.
- Book Review of “The Power of Comics” for Journal of Graphic Novels and Comics, Volume 3, Issue 1, 2012.
- Book Review of “Monsters of the Gévaudan” for The Journal of Monsters and the Monstrous, Volume 1, Issue 2. September, 2011.
- Book Review of “The Haunt of Fears” for Journal of Graphic Novels and Comics, Volume 2, Issue 2, 2011.
- “Sound Judgment: An Audies Judge Reflects” in Library Journal. April 2011.
- “Speaking Over the Words: Realizing Text into Audio” in Journal of American Studies of Turkey, Issue 32, Fall, 2010.
- “Zombie Films” and “Superhero Comics” Essays in September 11 in Popular Culture: A Guide. Sara E. Quay and Amy M. Damico, Eds. Greenwood Press (9/2010)
- “Books Born Digital: The emerging phenomenon of books published first in digital format” in Library Journal. May, 2009.
- “Can You Hear Me Now? The Rising Standards of Audiobook Publishers” in Foreword Magazine. July, 2007.
- NERCOMP: Program Development Opportunity Track Coordinator for Libraries and Scholarship in the 21st Century (July, 2019-Present)
- Peer Reviewer: First Monday (April, 2019-Present)
- Peer Reviewer: Journal of Effective Teaching in Higher Education (February, 2019-Present)
- Member, Board of Trustees, Puppet Showplace Theatre, Brookline, MA (2019-Present)
- Grant Reviewer, Open Textbooks Pilot. U.S. Dept of Education. (September 2018).
- Peer Reviewer, Dialogue: The Interdisciplinary Journal of Popular Culture and Pedagogy (April 2018-Present)
- Peer Reviewer, International Journal of Emerging Technologies in Learning (May 2017-Present)
- Peer Reviewer, Syllabus Journal (February 2017-Present)
- Area Chair for Teaching Popular Culture for NEPCA (2013-Present)
- Awards Judge for the Audio Publishers Association’s Audie Awards, 2004-Present
- Member: Board of Directors for Salem State University Alumni Association, (September, 2014-June 2016)
- Class Facilitator for Changing Lives Through Literature Program (February, 2014-December 2015)
- Executive Council At-Large Member for NEPCA (2010-2016)
- Area Chair for Comics/Graphic Novels for NEPCA (2008-2013)
Social Media Consulting
- Social Media Strategist, Higher Education Program, University of Massachusetts, Boston (2016-2019)
- Social Media Strategist, North East Popular/American Culture Association (NEPCA) (September 2014-2019)
- Participant in Social Media Group at North Shore Community College, (2012-2016)
- Social Media Strategist, North East Regional Computer Program (NERCOMP) (November 2012-2015)
- Social Media Strategist for Immersive Education Initiative iED Summit, 2013.
- Social Media Consultant for Ford Hall Forum (October 2012)
- By Any Other Nerd Blog (Owner/Writer 2010-Present)
- Brattle Theatre Film Notes Blog (Writer 2018-Present)
- Publisher’s Weekly (Reviewer 2005-Present)
- AudioFile Magazine (Reviewer 2005-Present)
- NSCC Learning, Education, Technology and Support Blog (Administrator/Writer 2011-2016)
- Library Journal (Reviewer/Interviewer 2008-2012)
- AdjunctNation.com (Blogger 2010-2011)
- BookLoons.com (Reviewer 2005-2009)
- CurledUp.com (Reviewer 2005-2009)
- Foreword Magazine (Reviewer 2006-2007)
- Peer Reviewer Training for MERLOT (November/December 2015)
- Scorer for Multi-State Collaborative VALUE Project (2015-2016)
- WordPress at Community Education at North Shore Community College (December 2013)
- Social Media: Tying It All Together at Community Education at North Shore Community College (November 2013)
- Strategic Planning in Nonprofits at Community Education at North Shore Community College (October 2013)
- Service Learning Course Development at North Shore Community College (2013)
- Green Curriculum Training at North Shore Community College (2013)
- Leadership Development Program at North Shore Community College (2013)
- Teaching and Learning Online at North Shore Community College (2011)
- Online Teaching at University of Phoenix (August 2009)
- Simulations & Games Integration in the Classroom at Salem State University (June 2008)
- Writing Across the Curriculum at North Shore Community College (2008)
- Part-time Professional Development at North Shore Community College (2007-2008)
Honors and Awards
- Recipient for the 2018 Massachusetts Colleges Online’s Course of Distinction Award for North Shore Community College.
- Recipient for the 2014 Excellence in Teaching Award for Adjunct Faculty at North Shore Community College.
- Recipient of Technology Across the Curriculum Grant at North Shore Community College, 2013 to develop an hybrid-flexible course.
- Participant in the ROC Association for Dutch International ConneXions Faculty Exchange Program, 2009-2010 and 2012-2013
- Recipient of the University of Massachusetts-Lowell English Department Commendation for College Writing II Syllabus Evaluation, Spring, 2011
- Recipient of Technology Across the Curriculum Grant at North Shore Community College, 2011 to develop an online course.
- Judge for the National Popular Culture Association’s Annual Inge Award, 2009
- Participant in the National Endowment for the Humanities Workshop for Illustrating the Gilded Age: Political Cartoons and the Press in American Politics and Culture, 1877-1901, May 2008
- Graduate Fellow at Suffolk University, 2006-2008
- Presidential Scholar at Salem State University, 1997-2001
Open Access Research. Instructional Design. Open Educational Resources. Online Teaching and Learning. Flexible Learning. Digital Service Learning. Techno-capital in Higher Education. Higher Education and the Public Good. Blended Learning. Video Games and Pedagogy. Social Media and Pedagogy. Literature. Web 2.0, Digital Identity, Comics. Popular Culture. Gender and Sexuality. Film and Film Genre. Horror. History.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.